For those who would like to learn how to win ocean races, the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria is presenting two new courses plus a Masterclass with Will Oxley. These courses concentrate on using Expedition Software starting with the very basics and building your knowledge.
The courses will be taken by Rod Smallman and Simon Dryden, both previous Melbourne to Osaka competitors and taking the Masterclass is Will Oxley, renowned navigator and Melbourne to Osaka competitor as well. He’ll be supported by Rod in this class.
In the basic course you will learn how to:
- set and manage marks and routes
- creating race notes
- upload and work with charts boat polars and sail charts using Expedition.
The second course, “You’ve got the basics. What’s next?”, builds your knowledge further in:
- how to work with weather routing
- weather routes, wave polars and wave gribs
- analysis of wind
- current and MSLP
- moves onto geo-referencing weather images
Will Oxley is then running a Masterclass where he discusses race planning, tactical boat positioning, how to evaluate GRIB data, communications and shares how he prepares and manages onboard whilst racing.
All courses run online and can be booked individually.
- Expedition, Learn the basics starts Oct 29, 6 – 9 pm.
- Expedition, You’ve got the basics, what’s next? Is Nov 5, 7 – 9 pm
- Masterclass with Will Oxley, starts Nov 9, 6.30 – 9 pm for 3 nights
Book your course here https://www.orcv.org.au/training/navigation